30+ FREE Toddler Sewing Patterns for Boys & Girls
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
In preparation for back to school, I’ve been compiling this huge list of free toddler sewing patterns.
Mostly so I can have some new outfit inspiration for my younger daughter.
Let’s face it, my favorite projects to sew are clothes for my girls. This is because kids’ clothes require less fabric, time, and precision than my other sewing projects.
So, if you’re sewing for a toddler, too, check out these sources for free toddler patterns to sew!
All of these patterns include at least one toddler size, and most of them have a much larger range. Some have newborn baby sizes all the way to size 14 big kids’ sizes even.
And, I’ve even included some patterns for toddler boys. It was always so much harder sewing for my nephew than for my daughters due to pattern availability!
Free Toddler Dress Patterns
Since dresses are my favorite for summer, let’s get started with these free printable toddler dress patterns. Simply click on the underlined link to be taken to each designer’s site.
- Eli Monster has a free pattern for a sleeveless, woven shift dress in sizes 3-6.
- If you’re looking for a basic muumuu, Pretty Prudent has the perfect dress using woven fabric and elastic for simple construction.
- Check out this free peasant dress pattern from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom. It’s pretty similar to the muumuu above and is available in size 12 months to 14 years with both long-sleeve and short-sleeve options.
- Diy-Crush has a cute toddler sundress pattern for sizes 0-24 months. It has a fun tie around the neck rather than a zipper or buttons, so it’s an easy toddler pattern for beginners to start with!
- Life Sew Savory has a toddler girls’ A-line dress using woven fabric for sizes 12 months to 5 years. If you decrease the length, it doubles as a toddler shirt!
- The Penny Dress from Craftiness is Not Optional is a favorite simply because the tutorial shows you how to draft your own pattern to make a dress that will fit your toddler perfectly.
- The Cottage Mama offers a cute party dress pattern in sizes 6 months to 10 years. You have to sign up for her newsletter to get access to the pattern for this cotton dress.
- This long sleeve toddler dress pattern pdf from doiturselfforfree comes in sizes 2-12. The pattern instructions are not in English, but there is a good picture tutorial if you need help assembling it.
- Small Dream Factory provides a dress pattern with a Peter Pan collar in sizes 6 months to 3 years. Larger sizes need to be purchased.
- Bernina’s We All Sew Blog has a fun vintage dress pattern for sizes 3-8. It ties at the shoulders and has a full, gathered skirt.
- From the Stitching Scientist, there’s a 3/4 sleeve empire dress in sizes 2T – 5T made with cotton fabric and big buttons on the front.
Here is a handful of patterns that come only in certain, specific sizes.
- For size 3T, Sew Much Ado has an easy-to-sew toddler dress pattern. It has short sleeves, a round neck, and a slight gather in the skirt.
- Sew Much Ado also has a size 4T girls’ ruffle dress pattern with 3/4 sleeves and a fun ruffle.
- You have to sign up for the newsletter for the free code, but you can download many free toddler patterns from the Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. For girls who like to dress up, here are three princess patterns: Cinderella ball gown, Belle dress, and Elsa dress. They come in size 4T.
Free Toddler Shirt Patterns
The good thing about many of these free dress patterns for toddlers is to create a shirt, all you need to do is shorten them! However, if you’re looking for dedicated shirt patterns, here are a few.
- This raglan shirt sewing pattern from Life Sew Savory is free for sizes 18m to 14 years. It has a ton of options for sleeves, necklines, and other hacks like making it into a sweatshirt. It works for both toddler girls and toddler boys!
- The flutter sleeve peasant top from I Can Sew This is a cute and free toddler girls’ 3T pattern. It can also double as a toddler dress if you add length to it!
- This simple tunic pattern from Made by Toya is for sizes 18-24 months and 2-3 years. It buttons in the back and can be extended into a dress.
- Everyone needs a pillowcase dress or shirt at some point! Here’s a pillowcase A-line top from Coral and Co.
Free Toddler Shorts and Leggings Patterns
- Sweet Red Poppy’s leggings sewing pattern is for sizes newborn to 7 years. For beginners, she has in-depth instructions and troubleshooting information to make sure you get a great stitch out!
- Sew Can She’s basic leggings free sewing pattern is a great starting place for sewing girls’ leggings. Add a ruffle, a yoga waistband, or even a cuff to this basic pattern.
- For girls, the Evie Shorties pattern will help you make a cute pair of ruffled shorts. They even have a matching doll shorties pattern for free! (This makes my list of free doll clothes patterns to sew!)
- Fleece Fun has an easy toddler shorts pattern in sizes 18 mo to 4T. It’s a simple pair of knit shorts that will be a better fit for boys.
Free Toddler Boy Sewing Patterns
While patterns made specifically for boys are much more difficult to find, the good news is most basic t-shirts and raglan tees for toddler ages are unisex.
Of course, most boys’ shorts (vests, blazers, ties, etc) need to be made specifically for boys!
Here is a handful of free boys’ sewing patterns.
- Life Sew Savory has a free boys’ mesh pants pattern in sizes 2-10 that can be cropped into boys’ shorts also!
- Subscribe to their newsletter, and get free access to peek-a-boo patterns’ free romperalls pattern. It’s a great free toddler boy pattern in sizes preemie to 4T and comes in a shorts or pants option.
- They also have a free toddler boys shorts and pocket tee pattern for sizes 2T – 5T. I think this site is one of the best to buy toddler patterns for boys, too!
- Sew Can She has a very simple boys’ free pants pattern for sizes 12 mo to 10. She also has a tutorial on how to turn the pants into board shorts. The beauty of basic sewing patterns is you can make so many small changes and end up with different outfits every time!
- And lastly, Sew Simple Home has a fun Western top using cotton fabric in sizes 18 mo to size 5/6. It was drafted for toddler boys but is a unisex pattern.
Free Toddler Pajamas Patterns
- The unisex pajama party pants free pattern from peek-a-boo patterns is available for sizes 3T to 12. It works for knits or wovens and is an easy beginner sewing project.
- The Summer Nightie from Sew Much Ado is free for size 2T/3T. You’ll have to purchase the pattern if you want it for any other sizes. It’s a sleeveless, knit nightgown with a small ruffle at the bottom.
- Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom provides a sleeveless knit nightgown pattern for sizes 3T to 16. It has binding around the neckline and arms and a cute ruffle on the bottom.
- This cute knot bow romper pattern from Coral and Co comes in sizes 2-8. It’s sized to work with knit fabrics.
- We All Sew has another fun, free toddler romper pattern in sizes NB to 5. It also uses knit fabric but has pants and a “grow-with-me” cuff and ties at the top. This means it will work for longer than a traditional cotton romper!
Now, any free toddler sewing patterns that I missed? Let me know!