This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read disclosure for more information.
I enjoy sewing my own doll clothes because they’re quick and easy to sew, don’t require much fabric, and are great stash-busters. Plus, pattern-drafting for doll clothes is fairly simple thanks to dolls’ general lack of curves and the similar dimensions between brands.
That said, I exhausted most of the patterns from my doll clothes pattern books, my Simplicity sewing patterns, and my self-drafted patterns collection when I was sewing doll clothes for my older daughter.
I needed new wardrobe ideas, so I started looking for free doll clothes patterns to sew and assembled this master list!
(Note: I tried to include patterns for all doll sizes. If you want clothes for Barbie dolls, I have a complete list of free Barbie doll clothes patterns to sew.)
Free Printable Doll Clothes Patterns to Sew
I’ve split this huge list by type of clothes, so just scroll around to find what you’re looking for!
Standard dimensions for dolls are as follows:
- 5″-7″ dolls: American Girl Mini, Disney Mini, Stacie Dolls, Dawn Dolls
- 9″-12″ dolls: Barbie Dolls, Monster High Dolls, Moxie Girls, Bratz Dolls, Liv Dolls, DC Super Hero Girls Dolls, Disney Princess Fashion Dolls, L.O.L Surprise, Rainbow High, Ever After High, Skipper Dolls generic plastic fashion dolls
- 13″-16″ dolls: Bitty Baby Dolls, WellieWishers, Baby Alive Dolls, Cabbage Patch Kids, Heba Dolls
- 17″-19″ dolls: American Girl, Australian Girl, Our Generation, Crissy Dolls, Cabbage Patch Kids, Baby Born, Journey Girls, My Life As Dolls, KidKraft Dolls, Maplelea Girls
Generally, picking patterns within an inch or two of your doll’s size will work for your doll if you can’t find the perfect pattern.
Undoubtedly, my daughters’ dolls prefer dresses over any other article of doll clothing. So, I’ll start with the free doll dress sewing patterns below that will make you want to get out your sewing machine!
1. Doll Dress Pattern from Ellie & Mac
- The School Cool Doll pattern is for 15″ and 18″ dolls.
- The pattern includes four sleeve options and a tunic or dress length and uses knit fabrics. (Knits are faster to sew with my serger and more forgiving with tiny doll clothes sizes and seam allowances!)
2. Shirt, Tunic, and Dress Pattern from Made for Mermaids
- This pattern is for 14″, 15″, and 18″ dolls.
- This pattern is also for knits with a hook and loop closure at the back.
- It has many pattern pieces with several sleeve options and other ways to customize it to fit your doll’s personality.
3. Drawstring Dress from Pixie Faire
- The drawstring dress is for 18″ dolls.
- It’s made with a fat quarter of woven fabric and has spaghetti straps.
4. Doll Jumper Pattern from Mamma Can Do It
- The free pattern is for 18″ dolls.
- Dolls will need an additional shirt underneath.
5. Short-Sleeve Peasant Dress from Pa County Crafts
- This peasant dress. is short-sleeved.
- Cotton peasant dresses are effortless to sew for beginner sewers and kids!
6. Sundress Pattern from Sew Crafty Me
- This easy sundress pattern is for an 18″ doll.
- This is a straightforward, true beginner doll clothes pattern because it’s made from woven fabrics and has no curved seams or tiny parts.
7. Baby Doll Dress with Matching Headband
- From See Kate Sew, this free pattern combo is for smaller dolls (like Circo dolls.)
8. Dolman Ruffle Dress from Doll It Up
- This cute free doll dress pattern is for 18″ dolls.
- I own one of the author’s doll clothes books, and I think it’s worth the purchase!
9. Doll Party Dress from Fleece Fun
- This party dress pattern is for 18″ dolls.
- It uses woven fabric and hook-and-loop fasteners in the back.
- It’s also knee-length with short sleeves.
10. Chellywood’s Patterns
- Chellywood has free patterns for almost any size doll.
- This site is SO fantastic, especially if you’re looking for patterns for an uncommon doll size, such as 5″-7″, 8″-9″, 12″, and even 28″ dolls!
11. Basic Free Doll Dress Pattern from the Craft Patch Blog
- This basic doll dress pattern is intended for an American Girl doll.
- It uses knit fabrics and is easy to sew for beginners thanks to its minimal frill.
12. One-shoulder dress from Sew Adollable
- This doll pattern is for 18″ dolls and is the cutest!
- It can be sewn with sequin fabric.
13. Halloween Costume from Sew Adollable
- The free doll clothes pattern for bumblebee and ladybug costumes is for 18″ dolls.
14. Doll Sweetheart Dress from Sew Adollable
- This cute pattern for a doll dress is also intended for 18″ dolls.
15. 5 Dress Options for Mini Dolls from Maridolli
- These dress patterns are made for 4.5″ mini dolls and include a printable pattern and 5 different styling options.
16. Easy Dress Pattern from My Cup Overflows
- This easy dress pattern is for American Girl dolls.
- It’s sleeveless and perfect for using cotton fabric scraps.
17. Tea Towel Pillowcase Dress from A Little Loveliness
- Grab this pillowcase dress and use old tea towels to sew your doll a new dress.
18. Dress and Bloomers Pattern from Our Nesting Ground
- This baby doll dress pattern with matching bloomers is for 12″ dolls.
- The bloomers can double as shorts if your doll prefers to wear them with a shirt instead!
19. Midi or Maxi Dress from Sew Crafty Me
- This maxi dress is for 18″ dolls.
- It has a tie kneck and sits right below the knee.
- You can add fringe and other embellishments to dress up this cotton sundress!
20. Basic Sleeveless Dress from All Things With Purpose
- This basic free dress pattern is for 18″ dolls.
- It’s sleeveless and can be sewn to your desired length.
21. Free Doll Leggings from Artsy Fartsy Mama
- This doll leggings pattern is for 18″ dolls like American Girl or Our Generation.
- They’re even sweeter to make because they involve upcycling a pair of old toddler leggings–old clothes are one of my favorite types of fabric to repurpose on the cheap.
22. Doll Tights from Rosie’s Doll Clothes Patterns
- Make doll tights out of old socks using this tutorial.
23. Doll Socks from Artsy Fartsy Mama
- Make socks for your doll from a pair of old adult socks.
24. Sweater Dress from xoxo Grandma
- Learn how to make a doll sweater dress using old socks.
25. Jogger Pants from Fleece Fun
- These free jogger pants are for 18″ dolls.
- They have an elastic waist and are made with knit fabric.
- They also have a small cuff on the bottom of the pants and are easy to sew with a serger. (I love jogger pants and even have a tutorial on making joggers from sweatpants for adults!)
Let’s talk doll skirts, shorts, and undies sewing patterns.
26. Cute Doll Skirt from Pixie Faire
- This free doll clothes skirt pattern is for 18″ dolls.
- It’s perfect for woven fabrics and excellent for beginners learning to sew doll clothes.
27. Doll Shorties from Violette Fields Threads
- These doll shorties are so adorable, and the leg ruffle is optional.
- You can make matching toddler and doll outfits with the kids’ shorties pattern as well!
28. Tiered Skirt from Fleece Fun
- The cute tiered skirt pattern is for 18″ dolls.
- It uses only one fat quarter of fabric (learn more about choosing doll clothes fabric!) and a short length of elastic in the back.
29. Paneled Skirt from Peek-a-boo
- This paneled skirt baby doll pattern is no-charge for Peek-a-boo’s Facebook group members or new newsletter subscribers.
30. No-Sew Bubble Skirt from Sew Adollable
- The bubble skirt pattern requires no sewing at all!
31. Long Maxi Skirt from Sew Adollable
- This long maxi skirt is also easy to make.
32. Peplum Skirt from Sew Adollable
- Sew a peplum skirt in no time at all for your doll.
33. Shorts Pattern from Sew Adollable
- There’s also a free shorts pattern for your doll, too.
34. Poodle Skirt from ObSEUSSed
- The fun poodle skirt pattern is for an 18″ doll who likes vintage flair.
35. Felt Doll Skirt from Oliver + S
- Check out the free doll skirt pattern for 13″ and 14.5″ dolls.
- It uses felt and bias tape, which is such a fun twist!
36. Doll Undies from Make It & Love It
- The free doll underwear pattern can double as doll bloomers or short shorts.
37. No-Sew Doll Skirt
- This free no-sew doll skirt pattern doesn’t even require a pattern it’s so easy!
38. Free Doll Top Pattern from Violette Field Threads
- This adorable free doll top doubles as a dress if you add some length.
- It has an empire bodice, a lovely ruffle, and the cutest straps that tie on the back.
- The best part is you can make your toddler a matching top for free, too!
39. Sleeveless Top from Real Creative Real Organized
- The sleeveless top pattern is for 18″ dolls.
- It’s got a flared bottom and a charming bodice!
40. Long Sleeve Doll Shirt from Peek-a-boo
- Grab this long-sleeve doll t-shirt pattern for free.
- You must sign up for the newsletter or join the Facebook Group.
41. Knit Doll Shirt from Serving Pink Lemonade
- This simple knit shirt doll pattern is for an 18″ doll.
- The fabric can be cut from an old pair of kids’ leggings!
42. Doll Shirt from Pixie Faire
- This free printable shirt pattern is made from knit fabrics and form-fitting for 18″ dolls.
- It’s sleeveless and has a hook and loop fastener on the back.
43. Pinafore Outfit from Welcome to the Mouse House
- This pinafore pattern will work for 12″ – 15″ dolls.
- It has a cute crossover back and is made to be reversible!
44. Ruffled Doll T-Shirt from Treasurie
- The free retro t-shirt pattern for dolls has a ruffled neck and decorative buttons down the front.
- It’s a short, 3/4 sleeve shirt that will fit an 18″ doll.
45. Coat and Hat from Tie Dye Diva
- The peplum coat and hat pattern is a perfect way to use up scraps of fleece!
- The hat is a cute beret pattern and will be perfect to sew for our Fancy Nancy doll.
46. Doll Parka from A Pinch of Joy
- This fun and fancy doll parka is for 18″ dolls.
- The designer faux fur and faux suede, and it is just perfect!
47. Poncho from AG Doll Play
- This doll poncho pattern is made from a felt piece and buttons or other decorative additions.
- This is so easy to make and technically “no-sew”
While most shorts or even peasant dress patterns can double as doll pajamas if you choose the right fabrics, here are some patterns for doll pajamas that you can download also.
48. PJ Pants and Shirt from Read Creations
- This doll pajama pants pattern and pajama shirt pattern are for Bitty Baby dolls, but you can likely scale the pattern for larger dolls.
- They use knit fabrics to create the PJs.
49. Hospital Gown and Wrist Band from Read Creations
- The free pattern for a hospital gown and wristband is for an 18″ doll that needs to go to the hospital!
50. Doll Robe from Cabbage Patch Kids Patterns
- The cuddly robe pattern is for a 17″ doll like the Cabbage Patch Dolls
51. Doll Pajamas from Heartland Happy
- These doll pajamas are for 15″ dolls.
- The shirt is made of knit fabric, and the bottoms are made from a woven fabric like flannel. You could substitute knit for the pants if you prefer.
52. More Doll PJs from All Things With Purpose
- This free doll PJ pattern is for American Girl dolls and other 18″ dolls.
- You have to subscribe to the email to download the pattern for free. Otherwise, you can purchase it from her shop.
53. Swimsuit and Leotard from Peek-a-boo
- Grab this free swimsuit and leotard pattern for an 18″ doll.
- It is a simple sleeveless leotard for soft-bodied dolls.
- You must join Peek-a-boo Pattern’s Facebook group or subscribe to their newsletter.
54. Doll Leotard from My AG Doll Craft
- The free leotard pattern with sleeves is for an American Girl doll.
- It uses fold-over elastic and athletic fabric and is a 3/4 sleeve with a scoop back.
- There’s even an option to add a matching scrunchie for dolls that need that extra accessory for their gymnastics classes!
55. Ice Skating Skirt from My AG Doll Craft
- You can use this tutorial here to add a skirt over the above leotard for American Girl Dolls
56. Leotoard from My AG Doll Craft
- Here’s another free leotard pattern for an 18″ doll that doubles as a swimsuit.
- It also uses fold-over elastic and 4-way stretch fabric, but this leotard pattern is the sleeveless option.
57. Doll Swimsuit from Pixie Faire
- Here’s a swimsuit pattern for 14.5-15″ dolls using fold-over elasitc and athletic stretch fabric.
58. Another Swimsuit Pattern from Pixie Faire
- This the the doll swimsuit pattern for an 18″ doll.
59. No-Sew Flip Flops from Sew Adollable
- American Girl and other 18″ dolls can have a great summer outing wearing these no-sew flip flops.
60. Doll Belt from Sew Adollable
- You can also find a tutorial for doll belts from the above site.
61. Doll Boots from Peek-a-boo
- With email sign-up, this doll boots pattern is free from Peek-a-boo Patterns.
62. Sun Hat from Mamma Can Do It
- This doll sun hat pattern comes in sizes for a 13″-15″ doll and an 18″ doll.
63. Scarf from American Girl Fan
- A cute frilly fleece or felt scarf is also a fun addition to a doll’s wardrobe.
- It’s actually a no-sew pattern, but I felt like it was too cute not to include.
64. Diapers from Cucicucicoo
- This easy doll diaper pattern from Cucicucicoo is another free option.
65. Another Doll Diaper from Little Abbee
- Here’s another doll diaper pattern.
66. Mermaid Costume from Cucicucicoo
- This cute doll mermaid costume has a mermaid tail and shell bra for an 18″ doll.
67. Doll Purse from Fleece Fun
- This free doll purse pattern uses leather or other non-fraying fabric.
68. Appletotes & Co. Patterns
69. Face Mask
- This doll face mask is perfect if your doll wants to be a healthcare professional, like a surgeon!
70. Ear and Neck Warmers from SuzyMStudio
- The free fleece ear and neck warmers are for an 18″ doll.
- The pattern is easy to shrink for a more petite doll!
71. Sleeping Bag from A Pinch of Joy
- This doll sleeping bag is for 18″ dolls and can be sewn in an afternoon!
72. Doll Sleeping Bag
- I sewed this DIY doll sleeping bag in an old fleece jacket.
- This isn’t a pattern per se but a tutorial to inspire you when upcycling!
73. Toddler and Doll Oven Mitts
- I also sewed a toddler and doll matching oven mitt using a Dollar Tree oven mitt!
74. Doll Chef Set from Daydream Doll Boutique
- This free sewing pattern for a doll chef set includes a chef hat and cute doll apron.
75. Newsboy Cap from Daydream Doll Boutique
- This free doll printable PDF pattern for a newsboy cap is a perfect accessory for your 18″ doll!