Sewing Machine Fun is reader-supported! If you make a purchase through an affiliate link, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
My daughter this year decided she wanted Barbies and lots of Barbie clothes for Christmas.
I never got into Barbies or other plastic dolls as a child, so I have no clothes to give her from my childhood. I also don’t have a lot of experience sewing clothes for 11.5″ fashion dolls. (I LOVE sewing doll clothes for her 18″ doll, though!)
So, my master plan to make Barbie a nice wardrobe is to rummage around my scrap fabric bin and sew clothes so her new doll can be dressed to impress after Christmas. After all, the pickings for Barbie doll clothes patterns and pre-made Barbie clothes are practically nonexistent at our local stores. What’s a mom to do when she can’t find a great ready-to-wear wardrobe?
As I don’t have any experience drafting 11.5″ doll clothes patterns to sew, I started searching for free patterns for clothes for 11″-11.5″ plastic fashion dolls such as Barbie to get some quick basic pieces sewn. If my daughter decides to like playing with Barbies for more than just this season, I’ll consider purchasing advanced patterns or spending time drafting my own.
So, if you are new to sewing clothes for fashion dolls as well or are just looking for new inspiration, I’ve put together a list of free patterns to sew for your 11″ doll (ex: Barbie)! (And as a quick disclaimer, these are not Barbie®-branded clothes patterns, I am not affiliated with Mattel in any way, and I am not selling any material goods here–these are all free patterns offered by fellow bloggers to help you clothe your plastic fashion doll!)
20+ Free Clothes Patterns to Sew for 11.5″ Plastic Dolls Like Barbie
Since all plastic fashion dolls are slightly different sizes, some of these free doll clothes patterns may need brief pattern adjustments before sewing. Either that or choose patterns with knit fabrics, which are much more forgiving on particularly curvy or well-endowed Barbies!
Skirt and Dress Patterns that Fit Barbies – Free Printables & Tutorials
- Browse through this HUGE selection of free 11″ doll clothes patterns from Chellywood. You may have to do a little digging and hunting around the site to find the tutorials and patterns. However, there is so much good stuff here!
- This flowy skirt pattern from Craftiness is Not Optional can be easily dressed up with added trim or other accessories to make a fun statement piece for your doll.
- Sew this vintage dress from Handmade Kids using just four fabric pieces and two pieces of trim. This is such a cute summer dress!
- Here’s another fun summer dress for a Sindy doll or 11″ doll from A Rose Tinted World. I love the cute fastener on the back of the dress.
- This simple A-Line skirt from Sewing and Pattern is a great place to start for beginners and would make a nice addition to a doll’s closet. You can also grab an A-Line dress pattern, strapless sundress, and a free wedding dress pattern from the same designer! The only issue with this site, though, is the patterns don’t have test squares for reference to know if I’m printing at the right scale. It might be worth the troubleshooting, though, to get some cute outfits sewn!
- There are a lot of options to change up this dress pattern from Craftiness is Not Optional: strapless, cap sleeve, ribbon spaghetti straps. This would be a cute addition to any doll’s wardrobe!
- Sew a denim skirt from an upcycled denim scrap from this tutorial featured on AllFreeCrafts. This is an easy sewing project for me because I have a ton of scrap denim!
- Make a sock dress (from The Moody Fashionista) using an old children’s sock. This is actually a no-sew pattern for fashion dolls because the author used a glue gun to attach embellishments!
- If you don’t want an actual pattern and instead want to fit the outfit based directly on your doll, check out this strapless dress from Happier Than a Pig in Mud. The tutorial will guide you in fitting the pattern to your doll.
Free Shirts, Jeans, and Shorts Patterns for 11″ Fashion Dolls
- This knit t-shirt free pattern from Pixie Faire is one of the few knit patterns I’ve been able to find. I like sewing with knits because while they might be a bit trickier to stitch with a sewing machine, they are much more forgiving with sizing! And every millimeter of imprecision may make a difference in the sizing on such a small doll!
- Here’s a simple cap-sleeve top from Craftiness is Not Optional. It’s made from woven fabric and can be sewn in no time at all.
- From Sew What Yvette, here’s a nice leggings pattern for a plastic fashion doll. Barbie can’t wear dresses all the time and needs some more functional clothes in her wardrobe!
Full Outfits and Collections
- From Ageberry, check out this free doll skirt and shirt pattern. It also comes with a free SVG file to use when making this outfit for your doll. This is so fun if you have a Cricut and don’t want to cut those small fabric pieces yourself!
- If you look through Emby Quinn, you’ll find a nice selection of downloadable patterns. If you’re a beginner, you might have difficulty sewing them. This is because there are only written instructions rather than full picture tutorials.
Free Accessory Sewing Patterns
- Make this fun mermaid tail and top from Sew Spoiled using an old swimsuit or a small scrap of fabric! My daughter was a mermaid for Halloween this year, so she will love this!
- Here’s a cute free pattern for a tiny doll apron from Brassy Apple. There are a lot of ways you can add to this pattern to make it even cuter. For instance, a tulle bottom border, contrasting fabric pockets, and additional trims.
And that’s it for now! As I find more or make some of my own, I’ll keep adding to this list of free clothes patterns to sew for your plastic doll (like Barbie!) If you’re looking for patterns for bigger dolls, check out my mega list of free printable doll clothes patterns.
And, you might enjoy downloading some of these free sewing patterns for toddlers, too!