Sewing Machine Fun is reader supported! If you make a purchase through an affiliate link, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
My daughter this year decided she wanted Barbies and lots of Barbie clothes for Christmas. I never got into Barbies as a child, so I have no clothes to give her from my childhood, and I don’t have a lot of experience making Barbie clothes. (I LOVE sewing doll clothes for her 18″ doll, though!) I’m also not about to buy Barbie clothes for $5-$10 for EACH outfit (at least at Target.) And, Barbie doll sewing patterns cost more than $10 each! So, my master plan is to rummage around my scrap fabric bin and sew Barbie clothes for pennies so her new Barbie can have a grand wardrobe.
As I don’t have any experience drafting Barbie clothes patterns to sew, I decided to start searching for free patterns for Barbie clothes to get some quick basic pieces sewn. If my daughter decides to like playing with Barbies for more than just this season, I’ll consider purchasing some more advanced patterns or spending time drafting my own. For now, though, I’m trying to sew as many options in as little time as possible before Christmas rolls around.
So, if you are new to sewing Barbie clothes as well or are just looking for new inspiration, I’ve put together a list of free Barbie clothes patterns to sew for your 11.5″ doll!
20+ Free Barbie Clothes Patterns to Sew
Since all Barbies are slightly different sizes, some of these free Barbie doll clothes patterns may need brief pattern adjustments before sewing. Either that or choose patterns with knit fabrics, which are much more forgiving on particularly curvy or well-endowed Barbies!
Barbie Skirt and Dress Patterns – Free Printables & Tutorials
- This flowy skirt pattern from Craftiness is Not Optional can be easily dressed up with added trim or other accessories to make a fun statement piece for Barbie.
- Browse through this HUGE selection of free 11″ doll clothes patterns from Chellywood. You may have to do a little digging and hunting around the site to find the tutorials and patterns. However, there is so much good stuff here!
- Sew this vintage Barbie doll dress from Handmade Kids using just four fabric pieces and two pieces of trim. This is such a cute summer dress!
- Here’s another fun summer dress for a Barbie or Sindy doll from A Rose Tinted World. I love the cute fastener on the back of the dress.
- This simple A-Line skirt from Sewing and Pattern is a great place to start for beginners and would make a nice addition to Barbie’s closet. You can also grab a Barbie A-Line dress pattern, strapless sundress, and a free Barbie wedding dress pattern from the same designer! The only issue with this site, though, is the patterns don’t have test squares for reference to know if I’m printing at the right scale. It might be worth the troubleshooting, though, to get some cute outfits sewn!
- There are a lot of options to change up this Barbie dress pattern from Craftiness is Not Optional: strapless, cap sleeve, ribbon spaghetti straps. This would be a cute addition to any doll’s wardrobe!
- Sew a denim skirt from an upcycled denim scrap from this tutorial featured on AllFreeCrafts. This is an easy sewing project for me because I have a ton of scrap denim!
- Make a sock dress (from The Moody Fashionista) using an old children’s sock. This is actually a no-sew Barbie doll pattern because the author used a glue gun to attach embellishments!
- If you don’t want an actual pattern and instead want to fit the outfit based directly on your doll, check out this strapless Barbie dress from Happier Than a Pig in Mud. The tutorial will guide you in fitting the pattern to your doll.
Free Barbie Shirts, Jeans, and Shorts Patterns
- This knit t-shirt free Barbie pattern from Pixie Faire is one of the few knit patterns I’ve been able to find. I like sewing with knits because while they might be a bit trickier to stitch with a sewing machine, they are much more forgiving with sizing! And every millimeter of imprecision may make a different in the sizing on such a small doll!
- Here’s a simple cap-sleeve top from Craftiness is Not Optional. It’s made from woven fabric and can be sewn in no time at all.
- From Sew What Yvette, here’s a nice leggings pattern for Barbie. Barbie can’t wear dresses all the time and needs some more functional clothes in her wardrobe!
Full Outfits and Collections
- From Ageberry, check out this free Barbie doll skirt and shirt pattern. It also comes with a free SVG file. This is so fun if you have a Cricut and don’t want to cut those small fabric pieces yourself!
- If you look through to Emby Quinn, you’ll find a nice selection of downloadable Barbie patterns. If you’re a beginner, you might have difficulty sewing them. This is because there are only written instructions rather than full picture tutorials.
Free Barbie Accessory Sewing Patterns
- Make this fun Barbie Doll mermaid tail and top from Sew Spoiled using an old swimsuit or a small scrap of fabric! My daughter was a mermaid for Halloween this year, so she will love this!
- Here’s a cute free pattern for a doll apron from Brassy Apple. There are a lot of ways you can add to this pattern to make it even cuter. For instance, a tulle bottom border, contrasting fabric pockets, and additional trims.
And that’s it for now! As I find more or make some of my own, I’ll keep adding to this list of free Barbie clothes patterns to sew! Happy sewing!